On Sunday, February 9, junior rowers from the Ottawa Rowing Club competed at the Canadian Indoor Rowing Championships in Mississauga, ON. The CIRC is a major competition in the rowing off-season where athletes race a 1,000m or 2,000m distance on rowing machines. ORC was well represented by our junior crew, finishing the weekend with 5 trips to the podium – 3 gold and 2 silver:
- Gold – in U19 Women 2000m – Rachel Weber – 1st out of 55 with a time of 7:21.1
- Gold – in Club 4 Women 1000m – Rachel Weber, Madeleine Lauriault, Lauren Blume, Zella James with a time of 3:44
- Gold – in Club 4 Men 1000m – David Johnson, Erik Watkins, Matthew Lokhonia, Aidan Hembruff with a time of 3:16
- Silver – in Lightweight U17 Men – Matthew Lokhonia – Field of 38 with a time of 6:52.7
- Silver – in U19 Men – Aidan Hembruff – Field of 31 – 2nd by one-tenth of a second with a time of 6:19.3
Others notable finishes included:
- U17 Junior Women 2000m – Madeleine Lauriault – 5th in a field of 59 with a time of 7:45.8
- Junior Women, Novice 1000m – Maia Hembruff and Dahlia Rostom – 5th and 6th in a field of 30 with a time of 3:50.4 and 3:52.2, respectively.
More indoor racing awaits ORC rowers on Saturday, February 22, beginning at 8am at the Taggart YMCA in Ottawa, to be hosted by the ORC.