Big thanks and congrats to all who came out today to participant in our annual winter ergatta! Results are available here. We look forward to seeing more great racing at our spring ergatta on April 28 at the ORC.
Great news! RCA Coach Weekend 1 training will be offered in Ottawa. No travel required!
Details on the course and how to register are listed below. This is an amazing opportunity for those interested in coaching school, uni, or our club junior, senior, or masters programs, or for athletes who want to know more about how to train and to speak coach language.
The 16-hour long RCA Coach Weekend #1 clinic is a recognized coach education course in the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP); completion of the course is the first step in becoming a certified RCA Coach.
This course is for coaches who are actively coaching competitive rowers and specifically prepares coaches who are taking athletes in the Training to Train and Learning to Compete stages of the LTAD to regattas.
Topics covered in RCA Coach Weekend #1 include:
Long Term Athlete Development
* Learn how to utilize the LTAD model to guide in planning training, competitive, and recovery programs to allow athletes to achieve optimal performances and remain active for life
* Movement patterns in sweep and sculling technique in Canada
* RCA model rowing stroke
Designing a Sport Program
* Aerobic training categories, VO2 max, anaerobic threshold, categories of intensity, training phases, cross-training are covered
* Learn to conduct a basic movement screen that will help determine the appropriate starting level of athletes
Planning a Practice
* Develop an emergency action plan appropriate to your facility
* Learning to recognize hazards, anticipate and manage risks
* Structure of a practice plan
* Skill acquisition and physical abilities
Delivering a Practice
* How to maximize learning
* Key elements in the teaching process
* Intervention and feedback for athletes
Supporting the Competitive Experience
*Rules of racing
*Competition review of the LTAD
Who should take this course?
* Instructors who are actively coaching competitive athletes/crews
Do I need any pre-requisites before taking this course?
* No! This is the first step in becoming a NCCP recognized RCA Coach, and as such does not require any pre-requisites.
The instructions for registering:
Begin with logging in: https://www.rowontario.ca/login/ or creating an account (if unsure about an account existing, best to put in email and click on lost password).
Once logged in, go to the event with this link https://www.rowontario.ca/events/ottawa-modulated-workshop-pilot-winter-spring-2018/ or by clicking Events -> Events -> Ottawa Modulated Workshop Pilot.
When prompted for the course password, please enter: starboard
Please review the module dates and complete registration at the bottom of the page.
We’re also looking for people who are passionate about rowing and who enjoy passing on their knowledge to others as coaches. If you think coaching might be for you, let us know! Contact Paul at email@example.com to find out how you can get involved and give back or just to learn more about what coaching can offer and the rewards it can bring!